Friday, January 27, 2017

Using the internet to eat healthy and the allure of food fads

I've been haunting Amazon's "health food" section and have succumbed to the allure of strange dried fruits and seeds which I add to overnight oats and oatmeal. Overnight oats is a strange cold oatmeal concept. Oats are soaked overnight in some kind of milk and they're eaten in the raw in the mornings. Most people add stuff to their overnight oats like nut butters, mashed bananas, yogurt, chia seeds, flax meal, fruit dried or otherwise, etc.

Food has become totally unsatisfying to me. It doesn't help that I've totally burned out my sense of taste and smell. They're gone. Can't smell a damn thing and food itself taste bland and unappetizing in general.

How does a person burn out her or his sense of smell? It starts with an upper respiratory infection and finishes with lots of menthol cough drops. Waking up with cough drops and going to bed with cough drops. Yep. That's what burned out my sense of smell. Same thing happened to a friend of mine but she went the way of Vicks vaporub, she said it took a month before her sense of smell came back.

No comments: