Sunday, May 13, 2018

Progress on the Keto Diet

We've been on the keto diet for 9 days, so far I've lost 10 pounds and my husband has lost 15. His weight loss has actually stalled a bit, he was down fifteen pounds 7 days ago, whereas I was at seven pounds at a week into the diet.

People's bodies are different and the second week is notorious for the weight loss halting as the body freaks out about the sudden changes going on. Most people get back on track by the third week.

This diet is very difficult since it requires so much home cooking to ensure a person doesn't eat too many carbs. I've made asparagus, mushroom, and leek quiches with a coconut flour crust. I made a chicken enchilada casserole with cauliflower, sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and salsa. And then there's the bacon cooking and the boiling of the eggs, and the nightly spinach salads with a light low carb dressing. I also make a desert dish with chia seeds, plain Greek yogurt, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, vanilla extract, strawberries, pecans, and a little honey. My husband has made deviled eggs.

It's so time consuming cooking all the time, but I do think we're eating plenty of vegetables even though the fat levels are off the charts. This high fat diet is making our faces so oily, we have to wash our faces 4 times a day or risk terrible breakouts.

The thing I worry about the most is whether we're getting enough fiber, but the chia seeds are helping as well as the small avocado I eat daily. My husband doesn't like avocado so he eats a lot of celery with pimento cheese or spinach artichoke dip.

We bought some urine strips to test our ketone levels. We both seem to be producing ketones consistently. On this diet the problem areas seem to go first. We can immediately see our bellies flattening and pants becoming looser around the waist. Just over a week into the diet and we're seeing clothing fitting different, which is exciting.

I'm going to start working out tomorrow. I'll start with my usual routine with dance aerobics, kickboxing, and step aerobics. I already do so much heavy lifting in the garden carrying around six gallons of water everyday, so I'm not interested in weight lifting at this point. I'll probably switch later when I get bored with aerobics, I tend to change my exercise routine every couple of months.

No comments: